Saturday, 12 January 2008

The Cross Centered Life

Let me tell you about two Christ mas presents I have greatly appreciated. To some people these won't be new at all, to some they will be. The presents in question are the book 'The Cross Centered Life' by C.J. Mahaney, and the CD 'Songs for the Cross Centered Life' by Sovereign Grace Ministries. If you don't know about C.J. Mahaney or Sovereign Grace check this site out: http://www.sovereigngraceministries.org/es.org/


The CD was off a friend and is jam-packed full of well played and well produced contemporary worship songs which all focus on a particular aspect of the death of Christ. Some songs you might already know: 'Before the Throne of God above', 'I will glory in my Redeemer'. It has pretty much been on our stereo constantly since Christmas. There's great truths matched with great tunes, my favourite being 'The Glory of the Cross' by Bob Kauflin. It's such a great idea to have an album that's focused around one doctrine, that's designed to help individual Christians grasp and rejoice in that doctrine. Wouldn't it be great if we had more of them?


The book was off my wife and has a simple message about keeping the gospel central in your thinking and living. Simple stuff you might think, you can read the book in half an hour, but I found it incredibly searching and really helpful. What really is the center of my life, the thing I like to boast in the most? Why is I so often fall into trying to justify myself to God and other Christians? Why do I still think that there's something spiritual about retaining a vague sense of guilt? These things just show the extent I need to grasp the sheer enormity of what happened at Calvary. This book can be read by almost any Christian, will help them get a grasp of the gospel and also help the work through the implications of it in everyday life. Wouldn't it be great if we had more books like this?







Oh yeah this book is now available as the slightly longer 'Living the Cross Centered Life'. I don't know what it's like. Please let me know.

No comments: