
I love packing things up. There 's something satisfying about putting everything into boxes. And there's something really satisfying about getting rid of old things you don't need. I've made a few very pleasurable trips to the civic amenity site and to various charity shops. Stuff that's just been sitting around for the last year has been cleared out. Stuff I haven't used has been passed on. And it hasn't been a chore. It's been great to get uncluttered.
Which is kind of how repentance should be in my life. There's loads of clutter hanging around; wrong patterns of thinking, secret idols, areas needing obedience etc. And those things can hang around for ages, just taking up space in your life. Repentance is the joy of taking those things to the dump one by one, letting the Spirit apply the Word to all sorts of corners of your life. And true repentance is painful, but never a chore. The only dumping ground for sin is the cross, where I am pardoned, cleansed and set free.
No comments:
Post a Comment